The information below is from Bently's Defence Force Personnel Record, from Archives NZ.
According to his History-Sheet, his occupation was Farming and his last employer was J.S Templeton; his last address was East Chatton; his religion was Presbyterian, and his birth-date was recorded as 13 November 1892 at Riversdale, Southland. His next of kin was listed as Frederick Clearwater (Father), of Riversdale, Southland.
His physical description at Discharge is given as: 5 foot 8 inches, 164lbs; his overall condition was deemed to be Class A.
Bently's service number was 24/399. Beginning on 27 May 1915, he served 164 days in NZ, 4 years 97 days overseas, for a total of 4 years and 261 days, serving Egyptian E.F in 1916, and Western Europe through 1916-17. He was discharged 10 February 1920.
- He was appointed Lance Corporal 18 September 1916
- Promoted to Corporal 25 December 1916
- Attended Corporal School 30 May to 18 June 1917
- Promoted to 2nd Lieutenant 7 January 1919
- Departed to London 14 June 1919
- Departed to NZ for demobilization 20 November 1919.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal 1914-19 and the Victory Medal.