The information below is from Robert's Defence Force Personnel Record, from Archives NZ.
According to his History-Sheet, his occupation was Contractor and his last employer was 'Lumsden'; his last address was Box 34, Lumsden, Southland; his religion was Presbyterian, and his birth-date was recorded as 22 December 1887 at Otatara. His next of kin was listed as Mrs A Clearwater (Mother), of Lumsden, Southland.
His Attestation is dated July 1915 at Trentham. It says he was born on 22 December 1887 Otatara. His trade or calling was Contractor, and he last resided at Lumsden. He had passed the 4th Educational Standard. His last employer was 'own motor'; and single. His physical description is given as 27 years of age, 6 feet in height, weighing 12 st 12lbs, with chest measurements of 35 - 39 inches; fair complexion; grey eyes; light brown hair. Religious profession was Presbyterian. He was classed as Fit.
Robert's service number was 7/1445. Beginning on 30 June 1915, he served 75 days in NZ, 3 years 214 days overseas, for a total of 3 year and 289 days, serving in Balkans (Gallipoli) 1915, Egyptian E.F. 1916, and Western Europe through 1916-18. He was discharged 13 April 1919.
- He was posted to Trooper 30 June 1915
- Transferred to 4th Brigade, NZFA 8 March 1916
- 19 September 1915 he was admitted to General Hospital in Cairo but was discharged to Base the next day
- 7 January 1916 reported as having Influenza
- Embarked for France 5 April 1916
- Promoted Bdr (Bombardier?) 15 May 1917
- Detached to an army School on 30 September 1917
- Rejoined unit 15 October 1917
- Detached to an army School 13 January 1918 from which he returned 20 January 1918
- Appointed Lance Corporal 4 February 1918
- Promoted to Corporal 12 June 1918
- In the UK, admitted to NZ General Hospital on 28 December 1918 with Influenza, ex leave from France
- He was discharged from Walton 10 March 1919
- Returned to on the SS Hororata, departing 15 March 1919 and arriving NZ 13 April 1919
His Certificate of Discharge lists his description at enlistment as 27 years 7 months old, 6 feet, fair complexion, grey eyes, brown hair and a Contractor by occupation.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal 1914-19 and the Victory Medal.