The information below is from William's Defence Force Personnel Record, from Archives NZ.
According to his History-Sheet, his occupation was Farmer and his last employer was James Clearwater, Lumsden; his last address was Lumsden, Southland; his religion was Presbyterian, and his birth-date was recorded as 2 September 1892 at Otatara. His next of kin was listed as Mrs A Clearwater (Mother), of Lumsden, Southland.
His Attestation is dated 17 August 1914 at invercargill. It says he was born on 2 September 1893 at Otatara. His trade or calling was Farmer, and he last resided at Lumsden. He had passed the 4th Educational Standard. His last employer was James Clearwater, Lumsden; and single. His physical description is given as 21 years 11 months of age, 6 feet in height, weighing 158lbs, with chest measurements of 34 - 38 1/2 inches; fair complexion; blue eyes; fair hair. Religious profession was Presbyterian.
William's service number was 9/259. Beginning on 17 August 1914, he served 89 days in NZ, 4 years 89 days overseas, for a total of 4 year and 178 days, serving in the following theaters: Egyptian 1914-16, Egyptian E.F. 1916, Balkans (Gallipoli) 1915, and Western Europe through 1917-18. He was discharged 9 February 1919.
- He was posted to Trooper 30 June 1915
- 25 August 1915 at Alexandria, was 'Sick'
- 25 December 1915 disembarked at Alexandria
- Appointed Temporary Corporal 10 December 1915 at Dardenelles
- Appointed Corporal 4 March 1916
- 5 March 1916 admitted to hospital at Somailia
- 22 April 1916 at Alexandria admitted to General Hospital with Syphilis; discharged 3 May 1916
- Admitted to Hornchurch Convalescent Hospital 26 August 1916 from where he was discharged to Codford Depot 4 November 1916
- 9 December 1916 joined NZ camp at Sling, from where he was transferred to Tidworth on 12 December 1916
- 19 November 1917 at Rouen admitted to Hospital; discharged 13 February 1918
- London - 6 May 1918 Admitted to Hospital; general shrapnel wound, left arm; discharged to Convalescent hospital 31 May 1918; left Hornchurch 2 July 1918, reporting to Codford 17 July 1918 from Leave
- Returned to on the SS Tahiti, departing Liverpool 3 December 1918 and arriving NZ 13 January 1919
His Certificate of Discharge lists his description at enlistment as 21 years 11 months old, 6 feet, fair complexion, blue eyes, fair hair and a Farmer by occupation.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal 1914-19 and the Victory Medal.